Friday 24 September 2010

The Lea, the wind.

"I think that the Root of the Wind is Water"

Emily Dickinson

I have been mildly obsessed by the sound of wind since I first got a microphone. I have recorded a fair bit of wind down by the River Lea: it's one of the sounds I associate with being there. I have made this short study - from a recording I made of a stormy wind in the poplars by the riverside - to try and transform the wind sound into something else, that sounds a bit like talking.

Windtalk 1

This one combines a similarly treated wind sound with a drone (derived from my voice). One of the things that has emerged from my conversations with amateur and other musicians about their experiences by the river and the kind of music they associate with it has been the idea of a drone: a sustained note of one pitch.

Windtalk 2

No comments:

Post a Comment